Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Da Vinci Code - A Foul Ball at Best?


I have been waiting a week to write up my review on the Da Vinci Code in order to respect my best friend, who have yet to see the movie. This weekend, Ms. Gianantonio saw the movie and therefore I can now tell all of my fans (there are 3 of you - Thanks Kristen for using both of your identities).

I cannot use a normal scale on this movie because there are 2 different types of people who will see this movie. First you will have those who have not read the book and are caught up in the hype of the news. These people will enjoy the movie quite a bit and will take away from the movie a sense of wonder - hopefully realizing that the undertones are just theories (fiction to the majority). For those people, who have not read the book, I think the movie deserves 3
self-depreciating white albinos out of 4 self-deprecating white albinos.






For those who have read the book, like myself, this movie will be harder to swallow. For those fellow "believers," I find that this movie is worth more like 2 1/2 self-depreciating white albinos out of 4.






My reason for this difference in review stems from the wonderful adaptation Richie Cunningham did between the book and the movie. Quite simply, if you read the book you will find the movie boring because you know what is going to happen. If you did not read the book then everything will be new to you. I believe there was nothing fabulous about the actors. In fact, I believe Tom Hanks was sub-par and rather boring - compared to the character in the book. The special effects were fine, and although the score was a little too much (hitting you over the head with emotional tunes when you are supposed to be feeling emotional) I believe it was par for this movie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job, J-Me.

I agree.

Anonymous said...

As someone who saw it before reading it, I would only give it 2 1/2 albinos. It was too long and too predictable for three.

Anonymous said...

Haven't seen it, haven't read it. Will wait till I have the flu -- and it will probably seem pretty good from bed.