Monday, October 24, 2005

Hurt Feelings?

You ever been in a situation where a group of your friends were all meeting to celebrate an important ocassion and you were not invited? You ever been in a situation where you thought you were someone's friend, but then you come to find out that that person does not look upon you the same way? How awkward!

I found out a few weeks ago that a friend of mine, or so I thought they were a friend of mine, was having a dinner party to celebrate the "hopeful" engagement to his girlfriend. At first this did not bother me, but then I started hearing about all the other people who were invited to this special occasion (all of which were good friends of mine). How awkward!

But then I also started hearing about the people who were not invited, people who I thought were good friends of this persons' and then I realized that the person is not good at letting things go - but can any of us say that we are truly good at it?

I think that it bothers me the most that I will not be there when this person celebrates a wonderful day. Although I will see him next week, it just will not be the same.

But that is life.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, here's where I'm confused. Why are you and Christie so upset by this? You couldn't pay me good money to go to this party. Its not like its for someone fun and a good time to hang out with. Plus you have to see some awkward too soon engagement? Come on! Tom's making dinner and Ray and I will be there to smooch you and rub your belly when you eat too much. Hilary will be there to unaccountably treat you as though you're some sort of god. It will be awesome.

Professor Bacher said...

You are exactly correct Kristen! That is why I have a ? mark next to my title. I am not sure that I really have hurt feelings.

As for why I care, it is a person who I have known for 10 years. I was friends with he and his first wife - hell I even helped him on some bad times. It is a kick in the pants when you are forgotten.

But the positive thing is dinner with all of you! And that will be the BEST!

Anonymous said...

WTF? jamie=god?
I sound like a teenie-bopper at an n'sync concert.

Anonymous said...

No, no. But unaccountably, you enjoy Jamie in a way the rest of us don't. Like in a boy way and the rest of us are like, "Jamie's a renob." and you're all, "I like Jamie and spend time with him on purpose." and we're all, "Jamie's a renob."

Anonymous said...

I don't get it either. But having a TSA made dinner complete with smooches and belly rubs sounds like nothing to be disappointed about.

What's a renob?

Anonymous said...

You tell me who hurt Jamie, and I will laugh at you for being whimpy. You should tell the offender to piss off. And if you can work in "shit the bed" that would be good too. As in, " I was expecting an invite from my long time friend, but I guess our friendship shit the bed when you met so and so." I am still working the particulars on exactly when to say "shit the bed", but play around with it. I think it is the new thing to say.

Anonymous said...

Everything old is new again. I used to say "shit the bed" in high school. Bring on the revival, Mr. B!

Anonymous said...

I would rather go to the party that you are going to. Too bad that cell coverage is bad by the lake. I could give play by plays with my cell including pictures. This might be an interesting evening, but it is one that I am not looking forward to.

Anonymous said...

Nice comments guys!

I am sure the offending party would be hurt to know what you think. Hope he or she does not read this stuff. But, then it seems like you do not care so much.

Mean!

Professor Bacher said...

Whomever this last person was, obviously does not understand our sarcasm. That is too bad. It happens.

Anonymous said...

I think maybe the offending party deserves to know what we think. We are being sarcastic. But, when it comes down to it... we're really stating the truth. I'd rather spend a night with people I like... enough said.

Anonymous said...

Any point anonymous might have is diminshed by the fact the s/he is anonymous.