Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Traffic Court


Got to go to traffic court today to represent my boss's son. He was going a little faster than what he should (+46) in a school zone (hey, he was late for class)!

When I was at court, I experienced something that any non-attorney should be sicked by. While sitting waiting for my client's name to be called, the Judge's clerk asked if there were any other people who were represented by an attorney. Any of those (there were 50 people in the room) who had attorneys were then taken right away (there were 3 of us).

While waiting, the clerk was being very obnoxious to the people and making sure everyone in the room knew that the person was an idiot. Then I get up there with my client, we sit down, and begin small talk about new york city. He wanted to know why I just did not call to take care of this. I told him I enjoyed the ride and he laughed. This is the same guy who was degrading all of the other people in the room.

So then we talk about the case. He looks at my client and tells him that he was going too fast (no crap). Then he said, but because you brought him with you (he looked at me) I will be able to help you. Then he looked at me and I told the sad story of my client and how he had been warned by his teacher before about being late. Then the guy looks at me, my client is facing 11 points - resulting in his license being suspended and a $600 fine) and says, I cannot get rid of the entire ticket, but I can get this down where his license is not taken away. So we work out a deal, sign the papers, and are out of there.

So here is the thing...If a normal person does not know an attorney or cannot afford an attorney, they are screwed? I mean, I am happy that I am an attorney and I know what needs to be done and what does not, but what about all of the rest of the people?

Oh, and when I went to file the papers, the woman behind the counter asked me if I specialized in Traffic Law. I told her no, but I do specialize in Personal Injury - then I gave her some cards and she was going to give them out to her friends...good god...I AM THAT PERSON!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's with the picture of FDS???

Yep, that's about right on the traffic court. I have had similar experiences. Show up with an atty - get the points knocked down or off. Show up pro se, good luck. And really, losing the points is crucial, at least in Ohio, because that is what can mess up your insurance rates.

jessafran said...

didn't christie have a secret crush on one of the FDS boys?

Anonymous said...

You, in general, could try to obey traffic laws and then you won't need a lawyer at all.

Anonymous said...

No! Tom tried to tell everyone I did and put pics of him up in our apartment in Mayfield.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jamie.

Anonymous said...

It is situations like this that make me want to be an attorney. The poor and ignorant tend to get screwed by the system.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God! Did I just say that? Damn Liberal brainwashing.

Oh Yeah, Chrstie Does have a crush on Mr. Friedman. She makes me wear my pants up to my chest to help fulfill her fantasies.

jessafran said...

i thought so. i almost made a bad, bad joke here about her fascination about fdr, too, but thought it was poor taste.

Anonymous said...

I saw him at K&G Mens Warehouse once with his Latino man servant. It reminded me of Marlon Brando in The Island of Dr. Mareau (sp?) I looked on in fear and shock until he wheeled out of the store with several pairs of oddly taylored slacks.