Wednesday, February 08, 2006

40 Year Old Virgin and Passports



The 40-Year Old Virgin

I am a member of Blockbuster.com. I therefore put movies in my "queue" and wait for them to be delivered one 3 at a time. It usually takes 2 days, so when I move a movie around in my queue it is so I can get it sooner.

Last week my brother, Jason, told me that the 40 year olf virgin was a great and funny movie. Jason and I have similar tastes, so I decided to move the movie up on my list. I received the movie a few days ago but did not watch it right away.

Yesterday was an okay day at work, but I was looking for something funny to watch. Remembering that I had this movie, I popped it into the dvd player and started watching. It started off okay, but then the introductory credits ended. The movie was filled with pretty much nothing. I laughed 2 times during the entire 2 hours of "entertainment." I find it hard to believe that I would dislike this movie so much, then it occurred to me that I have seen Steve in "The Office" and I absolutely hate his character. In this movie he plays a humble man, whereas in The Office he plays an ass. I could not separate myself from his newer character. However, with that being said, I still find myself laughing more at Gilmore Girls than during the 40 Year Old Virgin

Passports = Federal Government Welfare

Went to the passport office today to get my passport. I found that I could go to the Post Office and get the passport just as easily. So I went there yesterday, after ordering a copy of my birth certificate from Willoughby online, and stood in line. I read in really small letters that they will only accept checks or money orders. I would have gotten a money order, but I had not been paid yet and there was no money to put in such an order. Then under that it says that they will accept credit cards for a $30 processing fee...thats weird! I decided to forget it, went home and got some checks, got paid and did it all over again today.

To pay nearly $100 for a parchment of paper with a picture that I provided (and paid for) just to go to another country seems a little crazy! Come on. I am going to the UK. If anything, they should pay ME to go to the UK, not the other way around. After paying $150 for a flight and another $200 in taxes and other fees just to fly, one would think that the passport comes free. On top of it all I had to give my birth certificate and hope that it is mailed back to me with my passport in 6 weeks. How fun!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

#1: 40 year old Virgin was a flipping hilarious movie. You must have no sense of humor. And Gilmore Girls is a dumb show with bad actors. I can act better than that. You should be ashamed that you laugh at the show. You just a crush on "Rowry"--whatever the fuck her name is.
#2: The passport is good for 10 years. So, think of it at a 10 dollar fee every year you have it. Stop complaining. It's a lot of expense. But, think of the light at the end of the tunnel--seeing me in 7 weeks. You know, the girl who makes fun of you for watching Gilmore Girls and liking it.

Anonymous said...

What a pain in the ass. What's more with the new fear as security policy of the bush, we will need them to Canada soon, as far as I have been told, as well as Mexico and other formerly user friendly nations we could have gone to with only a state issued photo ID.

Professor Bacher said...

I have heard the same thing. I am sure that it is only a matter of time before we need them to go from state to state. I agree that things are pretty f'd up.

Anonymous said...

You people are lame.
Get over the passport thing. Seriously.
I paid for my own passport. I'm not bitching. All countries have them. It's not just the US... Or a "Bush thing". Get over yourselves.

Anonymous said...

The Office is the best show on tv. You are a fool. Even Rya thoroughly enjoyed alst nights Gilmore Girls Hilary! Now he will not make dvds for me to send to you! You should have kept your foolish hatred of Gilmore Gilrs to yourself.

For shame!

Anonymous said...

I think maybe I'm just jealous that Jamie would leave me for the Gilmore Girls. Honestly, he would chose Rowry over me. It's all jealousy...

Anonymous said...

It would be a little insulting to be left for Rory Gilmore.

Anonymous said...

Amen, Sista! Now, you see my point!

Anonymous said...

I recommend a passport for Canada now too, it is just easier at the border.

Anonymous said...

I am not apposed to passports, and the cost is what it is. I am apposed to needing them to cross into Canada. For the longest time it was the longest friendliest border in the world.
Furthermore, get over yourself.
The US has in the recent past made every effort to increase the openness in our half of the world, granted with varied results. By now making new stringent requirements for individuals to pass from Mexico to the US to Canada, we are undermining, though not completely, any improvements made in our relationships at the cost of the US's manufacturing base.
Get over yourself? In deed. It has nothing to with me as a person, but me as a citizen and an involved one, thank you very much, in the direction our nation is taking under this administration.
Get over my self? If I was any less over myself I would not care about the federal government requiring a federal ID to pass through borders that were once open.
It is not a matter of a me being whiney, and I don't care for your implication. I think people who see the quiet reduction in our freedoms and don't say foul should get, at the least, with themselves andthe stand up for themselves.

Anonymous said...

It occurs to me that Ohio erquires more id for a drivers liscense than I needed for a passport. And it's just a photo taped into a little folder. Why can't we use our drivers liscenses?

Professor Bacher said...

The funny thing is I remember trying to get a NY license. It was a pain in the ass. I needed a Birth Certificate, SS Card, Student ID, Prior License (OH), credit card, and a utility bill showing my name and current address.

Based upon what Kristen said, I tend to agree. It was MUCH more of a pain in the ass to get the license. My complaint is more or less that we have to go through all these hoops just to go to another country. Just scan my retina.

Anonymous said...

ok?