Monday, March 13, 2006

TiVO


Yes, I broke down and purchased the TiVo unit over the weekend. I had digital cable installed and figured that if I was going to get cable that I will not use, I might as well get a service that allows me to better use the service that I will not use.

I purchased the 80 hour Series 2 box. These are my initial impressions:
1. When they say 80, they do not mean 80 hours. I get it to record at about 30 hours at excellent quality - anything less is useless.
2. I am a little surprised at the lag time it takes to change a channel. When I select the channel on TiVo, it takes about 5 seconds to change the channel on the Digital Box. I figured out that if I use the guide in TiVo, it will be better and quicker.
3. Since I just got it, I have not really utilized many of the features, but it has found of few shows that I enjoy watching and recorded them for me over the weekend.
4. I have the box synched with my mac and pc. I can use the TiVo to connect to my mac and play songs from itunes over my tv (which is connected to the stereo) also you can play new music every month with Best Buy's Featured artists. And should I ever have friends over, I can play all my pictures on the tv right from the computer. One of the nice things about the pc is that there is software that allows you to transfer your taped programs to your computer and watch them - for free!
5. There are a lot of things that I just do not know how to do - so maybe learning will be fun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will now be addicted to taping shows. You will also learn to tape shows and watch them on a delay so you can fast forward through commercials!

This is your warning. :)

Anonymous said...

Now, you don't have the excuse that you have to watch TV when I call...because you can just tape it!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your purchase. It will change the way you watch TV. You'll wonder how you ever watched TV without it.

Anonymous said...

*said in a robot voice* Tivo can take you to the places of your wildest dreams. Tivo should be worshipped and adored. Tivo, tivo, tivoooo.....